Here are the numbers so far:
1. Ice Age 4 3D (Blue Sky/Fox) NEW [3,879 Theaters] PG
Friday $16.5M, Saturday $16.5M, Weekend $45.5M
2. Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Col/Sony) Week 2 [4,318 Theaters] PG13
Friday $10.3M, Saturday $14M, Weekend $35M (-44%), Cume $200.9M
3. Ted (Universal) Week 3 [3,303 Theaters] R
Friday $6.9M, Saturday $8.9M, Weekend $23.0M, Cume $159.8M
4. Brave 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 4 [3,392 Theaters] PG
Friday $3.4M, Saturday $4.4M, Weekend $10.9M, Cume $195.8M
5. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,090 Theaters] R
Friday $3.2M, SaturdayWeekend $8.5M, Cume $91.5M
You can’t call “Ice Age 4″ a flop, but it doesn’t look good compared to the other “Ice Age 4″ movies. The franchise feels worn out at this point. Can we expect to see another one? Well, “Ice Age 4″ has earned about $300 million worldwide, so I think that’s a fairly obvious yes. Unless the filmmakers have some kind of crisis of conscience about flogging a franchise to pieces well beyond its time. Okay, tell me when you’ve stopped laughing.
There weren’t any other new major releases this weekend; it’s kind of a lull week between “The Amazing Spider-Man” and the storm that will hit next week with “The Dark Knight Rises.” Let’s see, is there anything else opening next week? Uh, “The Well-Digger’s Daughter.” That’s a French movie. Counterprogramming!