Okay, we might as well just forget about everything else for the moment, since “Iron Man 3″ pretty much was the entire weekend box office. Let’s run through some of the superlatives.
- An opening weekend projected from $171 million to $171 million, which puts it in second place for best three day weekend opening since they’ve been counting. That’s behind “The Avengers” ($207.4 million) and ahead of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2″ ($169.2 million).
- A worldwide total of $650 million by Monday.
- The biggest opening of all time in Latin American and Asian territories.
- The biggest opening in 2013 in Europe.
- An A Cinemascore that will ensure audiences will keep coming based on word of mouth.
So even though we have a lot of big movies opening over the next few weekends, “Iron Man 3″ doesn’t look like it’s going to get swallowed up by all the “Gatsby” and “Star Trek” hype.
As for next week, we do indeed have the aforementioned “The Great Gatsby.” We’ll see if stars and a glitzy soundtrack can bring out audiences who may mostly associate the title with their high school English classes. The only other wide opener we have is “Tyler Perry Presents Peeples” with Craig Robinson and Kerry Washington. Good luck, non-Iron Man entries.