Only one person can make it all make sense.
The Tribeca Film Festival begins on Wednesday night. Here are the juries for the film competition categories:
World Competition Categories:
• The jurors for the 2009 World Narrative Competition are Bradley Cooper, Richard Fischoff, Todd Haynes, Meg Ryan and Uma Thurman.
• The jurors for the 2009 World Documentary Competition are Liz Garbus, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. , Whoopi Goldberg, Morgan Spurlock and Brian Williams.
New York Competition Categories:
• The 2009 Best New York Narrative jurors are Adrien Brody, Karen Durbin, Richard Ledes, Melissa Leo, Parker Posey, Andre Leon Talley and Beau Willimon.
• The 2009 Best New York Documentary jurors are Jon Robin Baitz, Mary Boone, Marc Ecko, Douglas Keeve and Rachael Ray.
Short Film Competition Categories:
• The 2009 Narrative Short jurors are Thomas Haden Church, James Franco, Mary Harron, Debra Messing and Mary-Kate Olsen.
• The 2009 Documentary and Student Short jurors are Bobby Cannavale, Gael Greene, AJ Jacobs, Rachel Maddow and Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani.
The NY Times’s ArtsBeat Blog noted the bizarre mix of people put together in the different categories, focusing on the Narrative Short Group in particular: Thomas Haden Church, James Franco, Mary Harron, Debra Messing and Mary-Kate Olsen. As Dave Itzkoff writes, this group includes the title characters of the short-lived sitcom “Ned and Stacey” (that would be Haden-Church and Messing) and a couple of main characters from “Spider-Man 3″ (Haden-Church again and Franco).
But maybe the connections run even deeper. With a little investigation, I have discovered that this group is not nearly as random as it seems. Follow along with me:
Mary-Kate Olsen was on “Full House” with John Stamos, who was on “ER” with Linda Cardellini, who was on “Freaks & Geeks” with James Franco.
Franco was in “Spider-Man” with Willem Dafoe, who was in “American Psycho” with Christian Bale, which was directed by Mary Harron.
Harron directed Lili Taylor in “I Shot Andy Warhol.” Taylor was in “Say Anything” with John Cusack, who was in “The Cradle Will Rock” with Cary Elwes who was paired up on “Seinfeld” with Debra Messing.
Messing, of course, was on “Ned and Stacey” with Thomas Haden-Church, who was on “Wings” with Tim Daly who was in “Diner” with…
Now it all makes sense.