A good on-screen couple can make a film. Even if the dialog isn’t exactly Shakespeare or the acting leaves a little to be desired, if the two actors fizzle and spark on camera then all can be forgiven. Unfortunately, the opposite is also true, and if a couple just doesn’t work, then the film isn’t going to either.
With this premise in mind, Total Film set out to chart the ‘Worst Screen Couples Ever’. And the full Top 20 complete with photos is now on the site. Below are the Top 10, some of which I agree with and some of which I don’t.
10. Ed Norton & Liv Tyler – The Incredible Hulk
09. Madonna & Sean Penn – Shanghai Surprise
08. Jennifer Connelly & Jared Leto – Requiem For A Dream
07. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie – Mr & Mrs Smith
06. Andy Garcia & Sofia Coppola – The Godfather Part III
05. Ralph Fiennes & Jennifer Lopez – Maid In Manhattan
04. Pierce Brosnan & Linda Hamilton – Dante’s Peak
03. Young Brad Pitt & Cate Blanchett – Benjamin Button
02. Tom Hanks & Audrey Tautou – The Da Vinci Code
01. Natalie Portman & Hayden Christensen – Star Wars Episode II
Let’s be clear here, Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen deserve their place right at th top of this list. If Star Wars Episode I failed due to Jar Jar Binks, then Episode II failed due to the worst pairing ever recorded on celluloid. There was no chemistry, the acting sucked, and the whole thing just felt forced. George Lucas may be able to do sci-fi but he cannot do romance.
The ones I don’t agree with are Hanks and Tautou in The Da Vinci Code and Pitt and Jolie in Mr and Mrs Smith. The former weren’t a couple and I actually felt they went together well. And the latter? Come on, the sexuality virtually flew out of the screen at you when these two got going.