We know all about the big blockbusters of the summer–”The Avengers,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “The Amazing Spider-Man,” and the other assorted big names. That’s all awesome if you’re a teenager, or twenty or thirty something with money to spend.
What if you’re that thirty something person, though, and you’ve got a bunch of kids? They’re out of school, it’s raining so they can’t go to the pool and day camp hasn’t started yet. They are driving you insane. How about a movie? Well, they’re just a shade too young to see the aforementioned movies, so that’s no help.
Don’t despair, though–there are actually movies coming out this summer if you have some kids you’re trying to entertain.
- “Battlefield America” (June 1st) – tween troublemakers are transformed into dancers for a big street dance competition.
- “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” (June 8th) – Those celebrity-voiced animals are back, this time hanging out with a traveling circus in Europe. And it was written by Noah Baumbach. Paging Oscar!!
- “Brave” (June 22nd) – Pixar tries to demonstrate they can make a movie with a female heroine. They go to Scotland to do it.
- “Ice Age 3: Continental Drift” (July 13th) – Oh no! The massive land mass is breaking up into smaller plates.
- “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days” (August 3rd) – The latest in the Wimpy Kid franchise, which has become a solid performer. This time wimpy kid Greg is having a terrible summer.
- “The Odd Life of Timothy Green” (August 15th) – Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton play a couple desperate for a child who write a dream list of what their ideal kid would be like, bury it in the backyard, then come out after a rainstorm to find a ten year old boy who matches the list. An oddball, offbeat idea for a family movie to be sure, but maybe it will turn out to be a surprise winner.
- “ParaNorman” (August 17th) – A town outcast turns out to be the only one who can save the town from a curse. It’s a stop-motion animated movie, like “Coraline” a few years ago.
Thanks to Moviefone for the info–