Thank you NPR for use of this image. Please do not attack me with your highly educated, thoughful, articulate lawyers wielding pledge drive tote bags.
I found the above Superhero Movie Bingo Card at, of all places, NPR’s website. Bring it to a theater showing a superhero movie, check off each cliche as it pops up, and when you hit five, you’ve got Superhero Movie Bingo.
It’s a very good idea, but I would tweak it. For one thing, Acclaimed British Actors don’t look mortified while appearing in superhero movies–they ham it up just as gleefully as any American actors. I also would put some different cliches onto the card in place of some of the ones they have listed. Here are some choices, several of which were also brought up by commenters:
- Science gone bad;
- Lecture from someone about using powers wisely/realizing powers have consequences;
- Brief period of having fun with super powers;
- Loss in first gambit with villain;
- Personal connection to villain (who knew that Uncle Joe was also Doctor Bad Guy!);
- Worlds collide while trying to hide secret identity;
- Encouraging words from loved one at a low moment;
- Development of the costume!!
- Discovery of the trademark move/weapon;
- Ending that leaves an opening for a sequel.
What else? Any ideas?